Historic Penn Farm

The Historic Penn Farm was established in 1704 in a land grant to New Castle. It has been under the care of the Trustees of the new castle common since 1764, and is the longest continuously running urban farm in the United States. The existing seasonal farm stand, which is the outward public face of the farm, is under reconstruction to update its functionality and operations through a thoughtful set of interventions and with a focus on green strategies. The market's usable area is being expanded with the addition of a canopy structure which is carrying an extensive green roof system. Water reclamation systems from impervious surfaces are being utilized to help mitigate site run off. New cisterns will be installed to store the rainwater for use in maintenance and washing the harvested crops prior to their sale in the stand. New storage facilities and site organizations will offer better use of the land, better view of the architecture from the roadway, and expanded access to the farm stand's offerings and services.

credits

Status: Complete

The Historic Penn Farm was established in 1704 in a land grant to New Castle. It has been under the care of the Trustees of the new castle common since 1764, and is the longest continuously running urban farm in the United States. The existing seasonal farm stand, which is the outward public face of the farm, is under reconstruction to update its functionality and operations through a thoughtful set of interventions and with a focus on green strategies. The market's usable area is being expanded with the addition of a canopy structure which is carrying an extensive green roof system. Water reclamation systems from impervious surfaces are being utilized to help mitigate site run off. New cisterns will be installed to store the rainwater for use in maintenance and washing the harvested crops prior to their sale in the stand. New storage facilities and site organizations will offer better use of the land, better view of the architecture from the roadway, and expanded access to the farm stand's offerings and services.

Scope of work: 2000 sqft renovation+ 1200 sqft addition

Architect of record/ design architects: Reese J. Campbell, Demetrios A. Comodromos, Angela Rocchi, Katelyn Rauth, Ben Crocker, Ayman Alhajji

  • Instagram - White Circle
  • Facebook - White Circle
  • METHOD DESIGN LOGO CIRCLE

© 2019 Method Design Architecture + Urbanism